Sunday, September 8, 2013

ROLLER COASTER vs. CAROUSEL

September has really had it's ups and downs for me.  I've never been much of a fan of roller coasters and have found myself wanting to scream, "I want off this ride!" more than once over the last week or so.

We went back for lab work and an ECG at Mayo on Wednesday.  I met with Dr. Shah afterwards and he said my platelets had dropped greatly.  After hearing how weak and fatigued I have been feeling, he and the other oncologists decided I should come off the Pazopanib for 12 days.  This should allow my platelets to restore and my strength.  I go back to the Mayo Clinic on September 16th for more lab work, and if things have improved, I will go back on Pazopanib, but at a lower dose.

When he first said they would be taking me off the medication I was so scared I was no longer going to be in the clinical study.  I was also afraid this would wreck any progress the med had made on my cancer for the last month.  He quickly assured me this was just a temporary adjustment, which they have to do all the time with patients involved with clinical studies.  He also said, the amount of time I am off Pazopanib will have little effect, if any, to what it may have accomplished so far.  It takes more than 7 days for this med to get out of my system.  He went on to explain that their goal is to see if this type of chemo will work on Sarcomatoid RCC, but in that, they want to make sure I am experiencing a good quality of life with no damaging or debilitating side effects.

After all this sunk in, I felt much relief and somewhat happy they removed me from the med for a while. The last week, or so, had been pretty rough, physically and emotionally.  I can't describe how weak, tired, and down I had been.  I guess my last post gave you insight into that world!

I am happy to report, I have been off Pazopanib for 5 days now and I started feeling better yesterday.  I had more strength, stamina, and good thoughts.  My greatest hope is that when I start receiving the med again, at a lower dose, it will be enough to attack my cancer and leave me feeling like I'm off of the roller coaster and on a carousel!!

2 comments:

  1. I cannot even imagine what you are going through Cindy. All I know is the part of the journey I have been on that does not even come close in comparison and is laughable, really. But I do know that we love you and we'll be there throughout every step of this journey you are on to offer up whatever we can in form of support. I always want you to know that you can tell me whatever you need and I always try my hardest to provide it for you. Lots of love and hugs. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy, you're correct, having cancer does put one on a rollercoaster, and a pretty scary one sometimes. I'm glad to read you're feeling better today. Do you by chance paint? I think I've seen some of your work through Bobbie Sue. I would like to see more, if you'd like to share. I remember a kitty and a boxer puppy. What type of medium do you use? Are you still painting? I hope you are. It helps sometimes.

    ReplyDelete