Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Accepted Into The Clinical Study at Mayo Clinic



I got the call from Mayo's Clinical Study Coordinator, Beth, yesterday.  It is official now - I passed all their tests and can start participating in their cancer study.

Today, Janet and I drove that familiar trip to Mayo, in Rochester, Minnesota. I had another ecg, a urine test and blood test before I could pick up the chemo pills called Pazopanib.  The dosage is 800 mg.  I will be taking 4 pills daily - after drinking plenty of water.  I've decided to take them before I go to bed so if I deal with any side effects, maybe I can sleep them off.

I feel fortunate to be in Mayo's study since these pills have stopped, or slowed down the growth of other cancers. They haven't been tried on my type of cancer (Sarcomatoid Renal Cell Carcinoma.)  Mayo is hoping to get 30 - 40 people in this study.  Another woman and a man are participating so far.  I am the 3rd chosen participant.  Beth doesn't know much about the other woman in the study but she told me that the man has had no side effects so far, except his hair has turned white in spots. THAT IS AMAZING and makes me feel hopeful that the side effects may not be that bad.

I guess that is my biggest fear right now, the side effects.  The pages they give you listing the potential side effects is enough to make me want to run the other way.  I really don't have much choice though and even side effects for common over-the-counter meds are scary.

I am grateful to be chosen for this trial.  It allows me to dream that my cancer is being zapped and I come out of the study cancer free.

2 comments:

  1. As I said, "It is the Great White Hope" contained in a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And WHITE they are. I'm feeling more hopefull every day.

    ReplyDelete